Sunday, July 10, 2011

Welcome to the world [insert boy's name here]

What a crazy few days this has been! My mind is so full of things I want to say, that this might turn out to be a blog vomit. If that is the case, I apologize in advance, although I have a feeling those who are parents might know how I feel.
Let's begin with Tuesday. We went to our Dr. appointment. Carrie was 37 1/2 weeks. Doc told us that Carrie was 2cm dilated. Carrie was wanting to go to St. George on Wednesday with her mom, sister, grandma, aunt and cousins. They were going down to see two shows at Tuachan. Carrie hadn't been working very much lately so she was thinking that she should be fine to go and come back on Friday. I thought, hey, the baby will MOST LIKELY come after his due date, so why not? I ignored the feeling inside of me that said she would probably go into labor on this trip. Doc gave her the clearance. He said that it would be a gamble and there is about a 20% chance he could come. The odds seemed in Carrie's favor...
While Carrie was gone, I had the worst time trying to sleep. I used to sleep better if she wasn't around tossing and turning, but I could not sleep at all. I got three hours of sleep Wed. night (went to work at 6 am) and then got four hours of sleep Thurs. night.
Meanwhile, on Thursday night in St. Geroge, Carrie was sending me text messages telling me about A LOT of contractions. I was beginning to be concerned but she told me not to worry. I still worried. That's probably why I didn't get a ton of sleep.
When I woke up for work at 5:15 on Friday, I seriously considered calling in sick. I was so tired, I had to get the lawn mowed, I had to clean the kitchen, sweep and mop, vacuum and get things looking nice for when Carrie came home. I managed to pull myself out of bed and get to work.
I usually do translations from 6 to 8 and then start taking Dutch and English calls. 8:15 rolls around and I got a message from Carrie. It said, "Kev i need you to call me NOW!". I'm not gonna write the words that crossed my mind as soon as I read that. I turned to my co-workers and told them I might be having a baby today. I didn't even have a chance to call Carrie. She called me. This is somewhat of how the conversation went.
Me - "Hi. What's going on?" (scared I already know the answer)
Carrie -"Um, I'm in the hospital"
Me - "Are you serious?"
Carrie - "Yes, I am totally serious."
Me - "Uh, ok. What's going on?"
Carrie - "I woke up early this morning and my back was hurting. We called Doc and he said either come home now or go to the hospital and get checked. So I got checked and they say I am dilated to 4.5 cm."

Awesome. My wife is in labor and I am 4 hours away from her, nothing packed, the house not in the shape I want it in and now I get to worry about my wife and baby (who isn't supposed to be here for two more weeks!!!) Carrie said they were gonna let her know if she could head up to American Fork to be delivered where we wanted him to be born, with our Dr. She told me I had better head home and pack some stuff just in case.
I got off the phone and told my work I was taking off to go meet my baby. I called my mom as soon as I got out of the building and told her what was going on. She asked if I wanted her to come down to St. George with me and I told her I could use the company so I don't go crazy on the way there.
I rushed home and started getting things together. My brain was working overtime. I was able to get everything packed just fine. The only thing I had real trouble with was getting the pads back on the car seat. It was not that hard, I just couldn't get it right for a while.
My mom showed up and we loaded everything up in the car. Then my brother, Chris, showed up. My mom asked him to come over so we could say a prayer together. He asked if I wanted him to come. I figured, if I get tired and need someone to drive, he'd be the best bet cause he drives fast.
We all got in the car and started on our way. I was anxious the whole time. I just wanted to be with Carrie, holding her hand and comforting her there. But I took great comfort in knowing that her mom was right there with her. If I wasn't able to be there, she would be the only person I would want there with my wife.
I sped the whole way. The only time I did under 90 was when we passed through known speeding traps and when we saw flashing lights ahead of us. We must have passed 6 or 7 cops and every single one had already pulled somebody over. It was a blessing. Carrie called me at one point and told me her water had just broke and she's over 7 cm dilated. We were still 117 miles away! They told her he would probably be there around 1:30 and I was projecting that we would be there around 1:40. Mom and Chris started laughing cause as soon as Carrie told me that, I floored it and we drove 100 mph for a while. I am so glad I didn't get pulled over. It would have been a fat ticket to pay and would have taken too much time.
We pulled up to the hospital and I jumped out of the car and ran in to see my wife. Luckily, the little guy waited for me before he made his debut into this world. Carrie started pushing between 2:05 and 2:10 and at 2:33 we were blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby boy. It is so amazing and weird at the same. I still can't believe it.
I love holding him and watching him move. Carrie is doing so great. She loves being a mommy and misses him so much when they take him and weigh him. We couldn't be happier with this boy of ours and I am so happy he was born where mine and Carrie's relationship began.

And now, a few pictures for your enjoyment.

This is during labor.... isn't she beautiful?

7 lbs. 4 oz. Had he been born on his due date, he probably would have been a big boy!

One happy daddy

I don't know what you think, but she does not look like she just had a baby. She looks so good.


I love those cheeks!!! This was after his bath.







I love this picture!!!

We love our little Lincoln Mathew

More pictures to follow...


10 comments:

Penny said...

Welcome to the world little Lincoln. We are all so blessed by your arrival. Omee and Opa think you are just amazing!!! I am so grateful to have been a small part of this big event in your lives Carrie and Kev. Thank you for this wonderful new grandson.

Dave and Kelsee said...

Congratulations to you both! What a cute baby. What an amazing story of him coming into this world. Carrie, you look great as always. Enjoy that little one. You are both so blessed.

becca said...

Congratualtions--he is so handsome. I think he looks like Jeff. I even pulled out a pict of him to compare, they look similar. We love him so much. Carrie, you are a rockstar!

Mandy said...

So glad to have a little nephew. We love you all so much. Look forward to getting to know Lincoln.

Burrell said...

Oh my goodness. You made me cry! Beautiful story Kev. I laughed about the part you wrote about Chris driving fast. Funny! It is kinda cool that his earthly life began where your (you and Carrie) relationship began. Nice touch. And I seriously cannot wait to come and squeeze Carrie and you and love on the baby. Lincoln...your Auntie Emmy is coming...

Two Idahoans said...

He is such a cute little boy!! You know how sometimes babies come out looking all wrinkly and weird, but you tell people they are cute anyways? THIS IS NOT THE CASE!! He sure is a precious baby boy. Congrats you two!!!

Natalie said...

Congratulations--so fun to see the pictures! Welcome Lincoln!

becca said...

Hey we want more pictures!!!

Kevin and Carrie said...

I will try and do that today or tomorrow! Sorry.

Lisa said...

you know you should really blog more! even though i admit, since i'm home it is so much better seeing you guys for real rather than looking on a computer screen :)