Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Moving

For the past year we were living in Orem just off of State and Center St. We loved the little apartment. The location was fantastic. I could get to work in 5 minutes and school in about 7. We were close to a park and a lot of restaurants and grocery stores. We loved the ward that we were in.

There were things that we did not love. The building was old and the insulation was terrible. We could hear everything from the neighbors upstairs. It was so loud! You might think that we'd get used to it, but we never did. If I ever woke up in the middle of the night and the sprinklers were running, the pipes would make a continuous, loud ticking noise. That made it difficult to go back to sleep. Our landlord there was not an honest person. I could accurately describe him as a scumbag only looking out for himself. He would choose which portions of the contract he would uphold. For instance, in our contract it said that smoking is prohibited on the property and if you were smoking you would be kicked out. The neighbors that lived above us smoked many times on the property and when we would talk to the landlord about it, he would say, "I've told them not to do it before. I'll talk to them again." We were also not supposed to have any pets, but the neighbors who moved in after the smokers, had a little yappy dog. That dog would bark all day if they weren't home. It was more than frustrating. 

Anyway, the point of this post was not to complain because we really did enjoy living there. When we found out our lease was up we decided we didn't want to continue to pay a dishonest person rent. We came to the conclusion that we wanted to be back in Pleasant Grove. Since Wednesday, we have been moving one room at a time and getting it settled (which was a nice way to move). We are happy that Lincoln has a backyard to play in and a "swingslide" to go down (he doesn't differentiate between the two). He goes down that slide about 40 times a day and that is not much of an exaggeration. 

Side story: We were unpacking things a few days ago and Lincoln found some gum. He knows he's not supposed to have gum. When Carrie found him and told him to put it down, he didn't listen and so she told him he had to go to the corner. He complained but went and put his nose in the corner. We usually ask him why he's in the corner. Here's the conversation:

Carrie - Do you know why you are in the corner?
Lincoln - Play gum.
Carrie - Do we play with gum?
Lincoln - Nope

As usual after timeouts he turned around and said sorry and gave Carrie a hug. It wasn't two minutes later that he had done something else and Carrie and I at the same time said, "LINCOLN!!" What followed made us both bust up laughing. 

Lincoln - Go corner, again!
He walked over to the corner, put his nose in it and then said, "Gum? NOOOO!!" 
My story telling doesn't do it justice. Carrie and I had to close our door cause we were laughing so hard. This kid cracks us up so much. 


That's the end of my side story. We are happy to be back in Pleasant Grove and we are excited for what the next year will bring. 

P.S. I hate moving. A lot. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful family! So happy to see you posting again. Now I better get it in gear. Inspiration?

Schippertje said...

I wish I could offer some inspiration, Linda. I guess mine is Lincoln. He does so many funny things that I wanted to start writing about them (more than what I do on FB).